How to Install DroidS3 on your Galaxy S3
- Decent internet connection
- Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (The international version)
- A USB Cable
- A PC with Windows
- Some brains and patience.
If you don’t have Android 4.1.2 (Settings > About device > Android version) then first update your Galaxy S3 to latest Android 4.1.2 software via OTA (software update option in Settings) or through Samsung KIES.
Rooting the Galaxy S3
- On your computer / notebook you need to download: Odin and the rooting package (you can get the rooting file by using the link from here).
- Install Samsung USB Driver package for drivers.
- Install and then open Odin.
- Extract the root file on the desktop.
- Next, enter your phone into download mode; in order to do so, first turn it off and then press and hold Power, Volume Down and Center buttons at the same time.
- Use the USB cable and connect the S3 with the computer.
- On Odin now the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will be yellow or blue.
- If not, then you need to re-install the drivers on the PC (first close Odin, and disconnect the handset from the computer).
- Now, from Odin click on “PDA” and pick the root file from the desktop.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin; ensure that the “Re-partition” option is unchecked.
- Click on “start” wait until the “pass” message is being displayed.
- Then, you can remove the USB cord and you can reboot your device.
Now we will proceed with installing CWM Recovery to install the DroidS3 Custom firmware on your Galaxy S3
- Download this file: cwm_recovery
- Copy the file to desktop
- Run Odin and PDA field choose the recovery package previously downloaded .tar.
- Make sure the Auto Reboot entries and f. Reset Time are checked on the left hand side.
- Put Download Mode your phone.
- By phone off press the buttons VOLUME down + HOME + POWER until you see the following screen appears.
- Confirm by pressing the VOLUME UP button.
- Now you can connect your device to your pc via usb cable.
Wait that odin recognize the phone.
- Start the installation process by clicking on the Start button of Odin.
The operation will last a few minutes and after the Galaxy S3 will restart by itself.
Last step, Installing the DroidS3 ROM.
Please make a backup! Use apps such as GO Backup, Titanium backup or App Backup and Restore to backup sms, apps, call log etc. This procedure will wipe all your data, so a backup is needed. If you use App Backup and Restore only apps will be backed up. Back up your internal sd card as well to your pc.
- Download the latest DroidS3 Rom
- After the download is done, you will get a .zip file
- Copy the zip file to your sd card.
- Boot into CWM Recovery by pressing POWER + VOLUME UP + HOME buttons for a long time
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset
- Scroll down and select Yes — delete all user data
- Select Wipe Cache partition
- Scroll down and select Yes — Wipe Cache
- Select Install zip
- Select Choose zip from sd card and locate the file downloaded
- If you copied the file to external sd card, skip step 10 and select Choose zip from external sd card
- Click the file, and select yes.
- You will now enter Aroma Installer, follow on-screen instructions and choose your options
- The built-in installer will give you an option to reboot your phone once done.
- Follow the Setup wizard and configure the rom.
- You can now download the backup apps you used from play store and restore your data.
If you encounter any problems at any step, feel free to comment below. With 24/7 support, we will get to your query and help you immediately.